The airport of Treviso (after alternating stories) has a respectable
history as military airport.For decennia was home base of the
2nd Squadron with Fiat G-91. It has always occupied itself with
commercial activities in the charter sector and as a back-up of
Venice-Tessera. It has been opened to line traffic in june 1953
with services of BEA, Alitalia and Austrian Airlines. Only after
the successive opening of the "Marco Polo" airport in
august 1960, it converted to charter flights and until today remained
back-up for Venice-Tessera during particular weather conditions.
Actually, with the entry of SAVE as handling company, it sees
an remarkable increase of traffic also in the Low-Cost and Cargo
sector. In fact thanks to Ryanair it enjoys multiple daily connections
with London Stansted, Brussels, Rome, Paris and weekly flights
with East Europe to Bucarest (Tarom) and Timisoara (Carpatiar).
For charters, seasonally and non, it sees itself connected to
Greece, Spain and Egypt.
Since some years, thanks to carrier companies like DHL, UPS and
TNT which tie the Trevisian Airport to Rome - Ciampino, Bergamo,
Luik, Istanbul and Koln, also the Cargo sector became more important.
Furthermore the airfield includes the maintenance centre of the
fighter AMX of the Italian Air Force, the 14th helicopter squadron
of the Carabinieri (Military Police), the Aeroclub of Treviso
and the executives Benair (Benetton), Luxottica, De Longhi, Replay